It is among the cardinal sins in beauty to not wash your face before falling asleep. Cleansing is an important ritual for the beginning of your skincare routine.
- Splash tepid water on your face.
- Put a quarter-size amount of cleanser on your fingers and rub your hands together.
- Massage the cleanser in a zig-zagging motion (up and down) across your forehead.
- Massage the cleanser down the bridge of your nose and out across the cheeks toward your ears.
- Follow the jawline starting at the center of your chin and going up to your ears, massaging the cleanser into your skin.
- Splash tepid water on your face until the cleanser is completely washed off. Repeat if necessary.
- Pat—don't rub—your skin dry with a clean towel.
TIP • Most cleansers will target a skin type directly on the label. But acne-prone skin types can opt for formulas with salicylic acid or honey, which is antibacterial. Oily skin should reach for oil-free gel-based formulas. Combination skin can use anything so long as it's not too drying. Dry skin types should use milk, cream, or oil-based cleansers. Sensitive skin should look for gentle cleansers with few ingredients.