Fabiola Gomez, founder and director of LUXit and industry expert, has put together the ultimate go-to guide for makeup skin prep.
1. A gently but thoroughly cleansed face is key to a smooth application of foundation and concealer - avoid harsh scrubs, topical acne lotions or retinol products the day or two before your special event if possible, and opt for hydrating, soothing products to retain the moisture in your skin. The more plump and hydrated your skin is, the less texture will need to be concealed with product when you go to apply your makeup.
2. If you have the time, try a gentle facial massage with your fingers and a small amount of non-fragrant plant oil for slip. A facial massage will increase the circulation in your face and give you a natural flush - be sure to remove any excess oil from your face before your foundation goes on.
3. A breakout before a special event (or any day!) can be frustrating, but it’s important to resist the urge to pick or extract any blemishes. No matter how careful you are, this will cause some swelling, redness or more texture to deal with, so apply a light layer of moisturiser and focus on a concentrated concealer over the affected area instead.
4. Your moisturiser matters, so save your heavy face creams for night and instead look for a lightweight fluid applied over your entire face and neck. Product that is too heavy can mingle with your makeup and change how it will adhere to your skin.
5. A professional facial on a regular basis can make the difference between good skin and great skin, so if you need some assistance navigating your skin type and what products will work best to achieve your skin goals, you can even receive a deluxe facial from the comfort of home.
LUXit is Australia’s premier mobile beauty concierge service, offering premium at-home beauty and grooming services.